Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Hunter Lang's last words to the student body (sic)

I would like to take this opportunity to say what a pleasure it has been to serve as your 61st Student Body President. Over the past year, the 61st General
Assembly has accomplished more than ever before. Just at the start of taking office we were successful at getting the library opened, and shortly thereafter we saved over 1,000 seats at the FedEx Forum for our men's basketball games. We have come a long way, passing nearly 70 senate bills, and making more changes than ever before. I am proud to be in a category with what are now 62 other students who can say they served their University in the highest student position possible.

This past week has been a delight for me, and speaking on behalf of my party, we truly enjoyed reaching out to students, talking about different issues on campus, and building positive bonds. Although I have some issues with the way the election was publicized in the Daily Helmsman, I would just like to recommend that in future elections, the editor will consider the possibility of two reporters (one for each party) so the paper will not come off as biased in anyway.

Not a lot of what I ever wanted to say made it into the paper, and I have to consider the likelihood of the negative headlines swaying the 154 votes, which made the difference in this election. That being said, this is the last comment I will be making to the Daily Helmsman as your SGA President, and I hope that they will respect my wish to have this published in the paper.

I would like to congratulate Tyler Dewitt and Rachel Goodwin, as well as all the senators from both parties who were elected into the 62nd General Assembly. As I said I know that SGA will continue to grow, and I wish them the best of luck for the 2011/2012 school year.

This past year I have made connections, built relationships, and made changes that this University has never seen before. It has been an astounding experience that I would never trade for any other in my life. I would like to thank my friends, my family, my running mate, Courtney Milton, and 60th General Assembly President James Johnson, who has mentored me from the very start of my experience in SGA as a Senator from the College of Communication and Fine Arts.

Although the amount of work that goes into this position has filled all aspects of time, I have zero regrets, and would do it all again if I could. I am truly humbled, and privileged to have been given this honor over the past year.

For the last time,
Go Blue, Go Gray, Go Tigers!

Hunter J. Lang
President
Student Government Association
61st General Assembly

No comments:

Post a Comment